This is in NO WAY a tutorial; more a ramble about what I did... Please feel free to comment or advise any suggestions!!!
I sketched out a picture of a dragonfly, and then traced this with a water soluble fabric pen onto a piece of fabric (cut from curtains that were hanging in the house when we moved in!!). Then started stitching!
To finish it off I “cheated” by hand stitching around the eyes to redefine them. I hadn't seen it at the time but I have since found this post by clutterpunk for a really good tutorial using the same techniques.
I then trimmed it to size to fit a notebook. Through my excitement, I cut it too short(!) so had to reattach strips of the cut off fabric. That will teach me for patting myself on the back too soon for a job well done!! I attached some strips for the lining, turned it inside out and then hand stitched the flaps to hold the book cover.