"I originally got the idea from a book called Sugar Animals by Frances McNaughton.
- First, I baked a batch of lemon cupcakes
- The icing is made from royal fondant icing made into a very thick paste. I coloured the icing adding a small bit of food colouring at a time – if you go too far, just add more white icing!
- Once happy with the colour add tylo powder (you can buy this online or from a cake shop) - this makes the model go hard after about 10 minutes. For a small ball shown here I would use about ½ a teaspoon – if it hardens too quickly add a couple of drops of water... its best to have a practice!!
- Cut out the monkey's face with a heart shaped cutter and trim to size if needed. Make the rest of the body out of well rolled balls of icing – pinch and squeeze them to create shapes. I used the end of a pallet knife to mark toes and fingers and a candy stick to help support the body.
- Whilst making them I found the best way to stop them sticking to the table was to place them on a unneeded cupcake case opened up – this means they will not fade in colour as they do if you put them on an iced surface.
- For the topping on the cupcakes (the "grass"!) I used the same fondant icing, flavoured it with lemon, coloured it green and added tylo powder. I used a cocktail stick to create the grass effect.
- Finally, I sprinkled with edible glitter!"
These cakes were a big hit at the party, and we think they look fab! Well done Karen!
Would you like to do a post for us yourself? Please contact us and we will make it happen!!