Sunday 3 August 2014

Tips, Tools & Techniques - Elderflower Cake

Hello! Here's our regular feature where we share tips, tools & techniques that have caught our eye, things we have Pinned, and things we have tried. These are probably not going to change your life(!) but might make it a bit easier...
Baking is certainly not my area of expertise and is also not something I do very often! However, I found a recipe from BBC Good Food while looking for different ways of using my homemade Elderflower Cordial, and decided to give it a go!

Ingredients:

For the Cake Base
175g softened butter (plus extra for greasing)
175g golden caster sugar
3 eggs
140g self-raising flour
85g ground almonds
½ tsp baking powder
100ml milk

For the Elderflower Drizzle
4 tbsp elderflower cordial
4 tbsp white or golden granulated sugar
Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Grease and line a 2lb/900g loaf tin with a long strip of baking parchment.

To make the loaf cake batter, beat the butter and sugar with an electric whisk until light and fluffy.
Beat in the eggs, flour, almonds, baking powder and milk until smooth. Pour into the tin and bake for 45-50 mins until golden, risen and a skewer poked in the centre comes out clean.
Making a mess of the kitchen is optional.... or unavoidable in my case!!
As soon as the cake has come out of the oven, prick it all over with a skewer. Mix together the cordial and extra sugar, then pour all over the cake. Cool in the tin, then carefully lift out to slice.
I also tried to get creative with the decoration by mixing icing sugar and cordial to 'drizzle' over the top. My attempt is a bit more messy rustic than the lovely photos you see on food blogs!!
This was pretty yummy (if I say so myself!), especially if you like elderflower cordial. What recipes have you used elderflower for?!

                         
 

12 comments:

  1. Oh my! This looks so so yummy. I would love to try the recipe but I'd have to get a kitchen scale since I'm used to US measurements. Now if I could only have a piece with a cup of nice tea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use this website (http://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/resources/conversion-tables/us-cups-conversion-table/) when converting from US to UK measurements. Would save you getting a kitchen scale!! x

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much! I will give it a try.

      Delete
    3. You're welcome! We'd love to hear how you get on :)

      Delete
  2. That looks delicious! I love elderflower cordial and have it all the time. Thanks for this yummy idea!

    Our weekly Say G’Day Saturday linky party is on right now and this would be a fabulous addition. Please stop by and say g’day if you have a minute!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natasha, it's a great use for elderflower cordial! We've stopped by to say g'day at your linky too :) x

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for linking up! I just shared your recipe on the Say G'Day Saturday board on Pinterest.

      Best wishes,
      Natasha in Oz

      Delete
  3. It looks delicious, thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm this looks yummy! thanks for sharing this recipe :)
    wish I had come across it two years ago when i was stuck with a few bottles of home-made cordial in the fridge which i had to drink myself as my bf doesnt like elderflower cordials! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martha. Lucky you having all the elderflower cordial to yourself!! x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...