Tuesday 10 June 2014

... and Dried Nettle Tea

I've realised that it must be nearly summer as a lot of my recent posts have been garden related.... and here's another on making your own dried nettle tea!
After seeing all the nettles growing on my allotment, I was determined to find a good use for them. So after a quick Pinterest search I found this recipe by Fat of the Land and, channelling my inner Tom and Barbara, set about drying nettles!
After harvesting them, I gave them a good wash....
... then hung in bundles to dry on the washing line (I think my neighbours now think I've finally lost the plot!). I moved them inside and left them hanging for about a week, until they were completely dry and crispy.
I then picked off the leaves and gave them a good whizz in a food processor and used a glass airtight jar for storage.
To make the tea, I left some of the leaves to steep, strained and then it was ready to drink!
The idea of drinking stinging nettles was a strange concept, but I can confirm that after being in hot water they definitely loose their sting!!
The taste is... umm different... but definitely not unpleasant. I've made a big jar though, so I'd better get used to it I suppose! Perhaps a squeeze of lemon would work? What do you think?!

10 comments:

  1. Hope you used the water to dye some fabric with too? lol
    A touch of honey and lemon does make a difference and I think its considered cleansing and a dieuretic?
    No reason theycant be added in to soups too you know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fantastic idea to dye some fabric - I will defo be giving that a go! Will try and persevere with the tea too ;) x

      Delete
  2. I dry orange peel, (just scrape off the pith first), then store it with the nettles. A couple of small pieces in a cupful helps to stop the slightly metallic tang that you get with nettles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip - I'll give it a go!! x

      Delete
  3. This is such a interesting idea. Making your own herbal tea! It reminds me of the show I watch, "Venetia in Kyoto" where she makes lots of tisanes from the herbs in her garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not heard of that show... but certainly sounds interesting!! x

      Delete
  4. Oooo I have lots of nettles in my garden at the moment, this may be just the thing. :)

    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure I'd be brave enough to try it, but what a great way to transform an annoying weed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it may be an 'acquired' taste ;) But still something fun to try! x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...