Friday 6 December 2013

... and Painted Pine Cones

My head (and Pinterest boards!) are full of festive ideas at the moment! Next on the list are Painted Pine Cones....!
Around this time last year, I collected cones to make Festive Scented Pine Cones and baked them so that they stayed permanently 'open'. It worked really well as they are still open, so I did the same again this time. After the pine cones had cooled, I wrapped some garden wire around the top and then dunked *technical term* in white emulsion paint. I didn't submerse the whole pine cone, as I decided I liked the top looking 'natural'.
So that the paint could drip off, I improvised by hanging the cones from a rail with a tray to catch the drips. I left these for about 2 days to dry fully - although I'm sure they would dry quicker if not left in a cold, damp garage!
I then decided to get out my tester pots and painted the tips in blue and yellow. The colours came out nice and bright as they were on top of the white.
For the hangings, I used hot glue to stick a loop of ribbon onto the top.... and that's it!
I still have some pine cones which are plain white and can't decide whether to leave them like that.... or paint blue/yellow tips.... or go crazy with a random mix of colours... decisions, decisions! What do you think??
I also have to decide where they are going to be hung.... at the moment they are in my bathroom as the colours (unintentionally!) match my colour scheme!
 

10 comments:

  1. Hi, what a great idea - and the tip to bake the pine cones first is fab! I wouldn't have thought of that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy! I tried the tip of baking the cones last year & it worked really well... it helps make sure that all the creepy crawlies have gone as well! x

      Delete
  2. they are really pretty - great idea x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fantastic idea! Thank you so much for sharing. I will try and make some for myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Would def recommend giving it a go :) x

      Delete
  4. I love the look of painted pinecones. I love the natural element but then painting them to make them a bit more colorful! Thanks for sharing with us at Link It or Lump It!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, we always enjoy joining you at link it or lump it!! x

      Delete
  5. That is so smart the way you did that! I have taken a paint brush and gone over each little prickly awful thing and jacked up my brush and put myself in a terribly foul mood. Your way is so much smarter and easier, but I'd expect nothing less :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your sweet comment Allison! I have Pinterest to thank for the idea of dipping them.... though at one point I was wondering if they would ever dry :) x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...