Tuesday 10 September 2013

... and a DIY Passport Cover

My sister is off to live and work in Spain, and although I will miss her, it will be a great excuse for a holiday destination! So as a little going away pressie, I thought I would make a Passport Cover for her travels! 
I found a great post by Originate and Renovate and here's how I made my version....
 
To start, I cut two pieces of co-ordinating fabric - each 6 x 12 inches. 
Next I sewed the fabric (right sides together) with a 1/4" seam. I left a small opening (about 3") on the bottom side and clipped the corners to give less bulk once it's turned it out.
After turning it the right way out, I folded each side over by approx 2" and pressed with the iron. At this stage I found it helpful to use the passport to get the measurements of the folds right!
The final stage is to top stitch along all the edges with approx 1/8" border. As I only wanted one row of top stitch, I started with the inner edges of the folds, then went all around the outside (in a rectangle).

You can off course decorate with some added extras (buttons, ribbons perhaps?), but I thought this one looked better 'plain' as the fabric was patterned.
This was a relatively quick project and a great way to jazz up a boring passport! My sister seemed to like it too!!


14 comments:

  1. It looks great, certainly more exciting than the boring passport look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How great to be able to make something a bit different from the normal, rather bland passport covers you see around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, hopefully it will be something a bit unique! x

      Delete
  3. I love this! We travel a lot so we're frequently carrying around our passports. This would certainly make my passport a lot cuter! If you get the chance, I'd love for you to share this idea over at Tell Me Tuesday: http://www.aromaofhim.com/2013/09/tell-me-tuesday.html

    Have a wonderful week!
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alicia! Sounds like you would get plenty of use from a passport cover ;) Have a great week too x

      Delete
  4. Great work. I don't have a passport but this could be used for a myriad of things. Your friend, Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! It's pretty much the same way to make a notebook cover, so think I'll give that a go next :) x

      Delete
  5. I don't even own a passport, but someday, when I finally get to travel the world, I want one as cute as yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Looks very unique than typical passport covers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll surely trying to do this! It could be useful to do a cover for a notebook too!
    Thanks for sharing!

    Monica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Monica! Yes I think it would make a great notebook cover too... may try that next! x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...