Tuesday 20 August 2013

... and a Pincushion Ring

Another pincushion?  Have we gone mad?!! (See also our Picture Frame Pincushion and Pin Cushion Boat with Net Thread Catcher...)

Well technically, as much as I use all of my pincushions, the idea of a ring one that is always handy (...on your...hand...!) was too good to pass up.When I saw the how-to in Issue 5 of Crafty magazine, I had to make my own!
The pattern is by Jo Watkins who runs Darn It and Stitch in Oxford. It is so simple but very effective! Her designs were for a ladybird and a flower, but I went for something a bit more contemporary:

Materials:


  • Fabric scrap 8cm in diameter
  • Wad of stuffing
  • Ring blank
  • Large & small button
  • Needle & thread
  • Super glue
I did a running stitch around the circle, leaving the ends of the thread trailing. After putting the stuffing in the centre, I pulled the threads around to gather in to a ball. I then used these threads to sew the ball onto the large button (at the base) and the small button (for decoration). After securing the ends, I glued the pincushion to the ring base. 

The whole thing took less than 15 mins and I love it!


1st September 2013: Update - this post was featured here at Dream a Little Bigger
Dream a Little Bigger
6th September 2013: Update - this post was featured here at Crafts a la Mode
 photo grabbutton2_zps7d635a69.png
9th September 2013: Update - this post was featured here at Love 2 Upcycle

26 comments:

  1. This looks brilliant, deffinitely going to try to make one soon, turns out I have all the bits and bobs I need to make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! That's what I thought too - good old craft stashes hey?! xx

      Delete
  2. Fabulous and practical too. I might adapt it to make a wrist type one, or one that goes across my hand or...well suddenly I have lots of ideas in my head. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geesh, I think even I could do that. Thanks for linking up to the Upcycled Linky Party at http://love2upcycle.blogspot.com/2013/08/upcycled-linky-party-22.html.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tricia! It really is very easy!! xx

      Delete
  4. Great tutorial. I really could do to make one and it looks so easy.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute! I made myself a pin cushion with a wrist strap but it gets hot. This would be so much better for me! Thanks much for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allison! It's definitely very comfortable!! xx

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Heather, that's what I thought when I read about it!! xx

      Delete
  7. Super cute project! Loved this lovely idea! Thanks for sharing great tutorial!
    Have a fabulous week!
    Hugs and love from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ana! We love getting your hugs from Portugal!! Hugs back from England! xx

      Delete
  8. This is so cute and clever! I'm not a huge sewer but I'd totally make one (maybe a little smaller) to wear on a regular basis. Ha. Thanks for sharing!

    Amy @ http://delineateyourdwelling.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! Yeah, its actually something I might wear "just cos" too!! xx

      Delete
  9. So cute! I absolutely have to make one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Clever idea. I might just wear it to wear it!

    Get Your Crap Together
    Please join our Pattern Party It starts the 1st of each month

    ReplyDelete
  11. Featured and Pinned at What to do Weekends Party. Thanks for sharing at our party. Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! We have added a button to the post, thanks for a great party! xx

      Delete
  12. You were featured! Swing by, check it out and link up another upcycled project http://love2upcycle.blogspot.com/2013/09/upcycled-linky-party-23.html. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tricia! We added a link back to the post for you xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...