Tuesday, 23 April 2013

... and a Cross Stitch Cushion Cover

I discovered Cross Stitch a couple of years ago. I was immediately hooked, but I must admit there are a lot of patterns out there that are... well... just not me. So when I found these African sunset ones, I knew I would love doing them and I would be able to offload give them as presents to my mum (who is from Kenya and has a her whole lounge room dedicated to the continent).

These two pieces took me about 4 months to complete (what with all the 50,000 projects I also had on at the time because I can never focus!) and I had been thinking a lot about how to finish them off. I didn't want to frame them and have been trying to improve my sewing skills so decided to make cushion covers. I have only done one so far, but wanted to share with you as soon as possible!

The completed pieces are only 20cm X 20cm and I was able to find small (30cm x 30cm) square cushions for £3.99 each! The "fabric" is a fleece blanket that cost £2.99! I had read somewhere that it is an easy material to sew with. Although I now realise that the post referred to hand sewing and I admit I struggled with the machine!!!
I decided to make a frame from some pieces for the front panel by overlapping them in a symmetrical pattern. It was really hard to press a straight line. I need to practise this!
I sewed these pieces onto the aida making sure that they retained the "spiral". As you can see the stitching is not totally straight as the fleece material kept bunching. I decided to stick with this as I had a feeling it would look less terrible when stretched over the cushion... I hoped!
For the back I decided to do an envelope opening and as there was a nice blanket edge, I took advantage and cut the pieces out from this. I cut two pieces and made sure they overlapped when pinned to the front piece.
I sewed these pieces all the way around the four edges (right sides together) and turned the whole thing inside out. And it looked OK!!
I then crossed my fingers whilst stuffing the cushion in... YAY it fitted!!! You can still see the wonky stitching but it's not as bad, and I have decided to keep it as a record of my first ever cushion cover. I will try and learn from my mistakes for the elephant piece...
Mum just needs to decide which sofa it goes on! When I do the elephant one she can have one on each!!
In the background of the shot above you can see a painting I also gave to my Mum. This was my first painting I had done for about 14 years and thought I would share... And this is the Stained Glass piece I did last year. No more African presents for Mum now!!


  1. I like this joint venture blog. Its really fresh and interesting.Lucky you two to have a blog partnership and making partnership.

    1. Thanks Jackie! Having the two of us makes it a lot easier to keep motivated and hopefully offers more variety! xx

  2. Such an awesome idea! I love how these turned out! I'd love for you to come share them with me on "Fidlin' Fridays" @ http://www.fidlersunderoneroof.com/2013/05/link-party-1.html


    1. Thanks Susan! We will definitely pop over and share xx

  3. Visiting from Monday Funday. I'd like to invite you to my Friday Flash Blog, where you can share your best blog entry of the week! The party goes on ALL weekend at thejennyevolution.com. And who knows, you may just get featured next week.


    1. Thanks Jenny! We will be popping by! xx


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...