I have seen many new baby presents on Pinterest and I immediately was drawn to doing something with his name - after all I don't think there are many ready-to-buy "Tolunay" gifts. I am not a trained seamstress but really wanted to give appliqué a go... So I have sort of cheated and made a bit of wall art for his room instead of a quilt (which I would love to learn to do one day).
I typed out Tolunay into Word, selected Cooper Black and increased the font to 180. There are obviously lots of different ways to do this but as each letter would be cut out separately, this was the easiest. Whatever font and size you use, it needs to be big enough to be a decent template for each letter.
I had previously bought some mixed pre-cut 3 inch squares of fabric from e-bay for next to nothing (£1.99 for 50) and picked the blue ones. (I know its a bit cliché but I wasn't sure about their colour scheme etc. so went for what I thought was the safest).
I realised my canvas was going to be a bit blank and boring so thought I would try to draw a car. I did this with hilarious results! Hopefully babies aren't as critical as Dunc was...!
The backing fabric was from a remnant bin at Dunelm Mill. It cost around £2 for a couple of metres and I think its meant to be for curtains or upholstery... After removing the paper backing from the letters and other pieces, I ironed them into place. Hopefully this meant that my stitching could be less than perfect!